Modeling Reality with Virtual Worlds

Virtual Worlds can be a safe haven for individuals that do not like to interact with other people. Depending on what the virtual world is based on, it can be a video game or a learning experience. In the New York Times article "Museums See Different Virtues in Virtual Worlds", museums are enabling people around the world to experience the museums far from home. This is amazing technology because if the museum was destroyed due to mother nature or any catastrophic event, people can still view the galleries and museums digitally.

Another way for Virtual World to break into the world are video games. I used to play Runescape and it was fascinating that I can be a different character in a different world. For me, as a kid, it changed my life. I was able to trade gold, weapons, and even Armour with other players. Not only did I meet players around the world, but the ability to interact with them gave me a sense that the world is not so big. It is actually small and Virtual Worlds enable people with similar interests around the world to interact.

Source:
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/08/arts/design/museums-see-different-virtues-in-virtual-worlds.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/26/technology/poguesposts/are-virtual-worlds-worth-money.html

Comments

Popular Posts